At our house, we have a saying..."Don't yuk my yum!". We are trying to raise kids that aren't picky eaters by exposing them to many different kinds of food. It wasn't that long ago that one of my kids asked "Why can't you cook food like everyone else? Like tater tot hotdish?" The reason? It's not very healthy or creative and I think it's kind of gross. I don't cook like that. I like to use fresh, healthy ingredients to make great tasting good for you dishes. I've created this blog to share my favorite recipes with you.


Follow my kitchen adventures from using up vegetables from our weekly CSA box to baking and creative cooking.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

My Favorite Online Recipe Finds

I am online nearly every day looking for recipe ideas.  My latest obsession with Pinterest has been a great resource for awesome recipes.  What happens on Pinterest is people post links to their favorite things (in this case, recipes), so basically, this is the best of what's online. 

Instead of stealing from other people's blogs and websites, I decided to compile a list of links to some of my favorite recipes from the last month or so.  My intention is to do a "favorites" post about once a month, so this is hopefully only the first of many. 

The following are links to recipes I have tried, with my ideas and reviews included:

1.  Cook a Whole Chicken in the Crock Pot!  I bought a couple of chickens on sale this week and was looking for a quick and easy way to cook them so we could have dinner plus leftovers for later in the week. I found this recipe and actually "pinned" it myself.  It's super easy.  Put a chicken (or two, my crock pot is big) in the crockpot.  Season as you like, I used seasoned salt and pepper.  Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.  Done. 

2.  Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Herbs  We got several spaghetti squashes from our CSA last fall and I have been slowly using them up.  Just used the last three small ones a few weeks ago on this recipe.  I roast the squashes whole for about an hour at 400.  Then I cut them in half and when they are cool enough, I scoop out the spaghetti flesh.  From there, I usually put the squash in the fridge to use later in the week.  That makes this recipe a super quick healthy weeknight meal. 

3.  Vanilla Coffee Creamer  Creamer is expensive and full of chemicals, but I won't drink coffee without it.  I stumbled on this recipe for homemade coffee creamer, which uses milk, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla.  That's it, doesn't take many ingredients to be delicious.  I used vanilla soy milk this time and it worked out great!

4.  Hamburger Minestrone  I browned two pounds of hamburger with onions, garlic and green pepper for my stuffed peppers recipe and set aside half for this minestrone recipe the next night.  It made throwing together this soup super easy and it was really good! 

5.  Apple Nachos  Cut the apples into thin slices (I used pears, too, because I had a few), top them with caramel or peanut butter (both would work, too!) then sprinkle with chocolate chips, nuts, coconut, whatever you have.  The kids love it (and so do I)!  Another great way to sneak in an extra serving of fruit. 

6.  Chicken Pesto Parmesan Shells   What could be bad about chicken, pesto and parmesan cheese?  As I discussed in an earlier post, I like to make my own pesto and still have a fairly large stock of it in the freezer.   I made a big batch of this recipe a few weeks ago, which made 24 shells, enough for two meals at our house.  I baked half right away and froze the rest in a pan I can put in the oven for a quick meal another night.  These were amazing, but they are definitely not low fat, so they are a sometimes food.  Looking forward to when that sometimes arrives and we can eat the second batch from the freezer...

7.  Cilantro Lime Chicken  This recipe is a variation of my chicken taco meat recipe I posted awhile back.  Once again, the crock pot saves the day and turns a few ingredients into supper. 

8.  Homemade Nutella  We go through a lot of Nutella at our house and I was hoping this would turn out to be a quick, cheaper way to give my family their chocolate fix.  Unfortunately, it was a lot a work.  I had to boil, then peel the skins off the hazelnuts, melt the chocolate, then blend everything together.  The hazelnuts were supposed to turn into halzelnut butter, but it was more like hazelnut powder.  It all came together pretty nicely in the end, though the texture was a little grainier that the Nutella from the store. 

I hope you enjoy some of my favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment