At our house, we have a saying..."Don't yuk my yum!". We are trying to raise kids that aren't picky eaters by exposing them to many different kinds of food. It wasn't that long ago that one of my kids asked "Why can't you cook food like everyone else? Like tater tot hotdish?" The reason? It's not very healthy or creative and I think it's kind of gross. I don't cook like that. I like to use fresh, healthy ingredients to make great tasting good for you dishes. I've created this blog to share my favorite recipes with you.


Follow my kitchen adventures from using up vegetables from our weekly CSA box to baking and creative cooking.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Add a little spice to your life!

I love my crockpot!  Just the other day I used it to cook up a huge batch of dry navy beans, which I then portioned into baggies and put in the freezer.  I often use it to make a roast or reheat soup from the freezer.  Twice in the last few weeks, I have used it to make chicken taco filling for enchiladas.   A little work earlier in the day or the night before pays off huge when you walk in the house and smell dinner cooking.  While I love to cook, there are some days when it's so nice to not have to put a lot of effort into supper.  

Chicken Taco Meat
2-3 frozen chicken breasts (I used 2 huge ones, just use common sense)
1 packet of taco seasoning
1-2 c. chunky salsa (however much you like)
1/2 c. water

Sprinkle the taco seasoning in the bottom of the crock pot.  Top with the chicken breasts.  Pour the salsa and water over the chicken breasts.  Cook for 4 hours on low.  Shred chicken with a fork. 

Before cooking.  It took about three minutes to get it all together. 
Just turn on the crock pot and walk away.  It takes care of itself!
I use the meat for chicken enchiladas, but it would be even easier just to make chicken tacos out of it.  This would be great for a taco bar when company comes over.  You can do all the prep in advance and just enjoy the conversation and a margarita.  This recipe could be easily doubled, you would probably just need to increase the cook time.   
After a few hours on low.  All I did was mash/shred the meat with a fork. 
Chicken Enchiladas 
8-10 flour tortillas
Chicken taco meat
Enchilada sauce (I  use homemade frozen salsa verde, but red or green sauce from a can would work, too.)
Shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400.  Spray bottom and sides of 9 x 13 pan with nonstick spray.  Put some meat filling in each tortilla, amount depends on how big the tortillas are. Place enchiladas in pan, seam side down.  Top with salsa verde or enchilada sauce.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Cover with foil (I always spray with nonstick spray so it doesn't stick to the cheese) and bake for about 30 minues. 


These are delicious fresh out of the oven, but also reheat well for lunch the next day.  They can also be assembled in advance and refrigrated until you're ready to bake them.  I like to serve them with chips and salsa and  black beans on the side.  Sometimes I put the beans inside the enchiladas, it just depends on my mood and memory. 

I like a recipe that's flexible and this one definitely is.   So take my recipe and make it yours.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment