At our house, we have a saying..."Don't yuk my yum!". We are trying to raise kids that aren't picky eaters by exposing them to many different kinds of food. It wasn't that long ago that one of my kids asked "Why can't you cook food like everyone else? Like tater tot hotdish?" The reason? It's not very healthy or creative and I think it's kind of gross. I don't cook like that. I like to use fresh, healthy ingredients to make great tasting good for you dishes. I've created this blog to share my favorite recipes with you.


Follow my kitchen adventures from using up vegetables from our weekly CSA box to baking and creative cooking.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Sunday Dinner

How many people still make "Sunday Dinner?"  Once in a while, I decide that I want to make something really big and delicious to cap off an awesome weekend.  Last night, I made Chicken with 20 Cloves of Garlic.  I found the recipe in Relish Magazine a few weeks ago and this is the second time I have made it. Of course, I changed it a little to fit our tastes, but this is essentially the recipe as I found it.   What really makes the meal is the baguette slices served on the side that you top with the roasted garlic and cherry tomatoes.  I often find day old baguettes on the clearance cart at our local Wal-Mart of all places.  When I find them, I buy them all and put them in the freezer for later. 

Chicken with 20 Cloves of Garlic
Chicken hind quarters, cut apart and skinned (I use 3, but use as many as you need to feed your family)
1 T. butter
1 T. Olive oil
salt and pepper
20 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 c. cherry tomatoes
1/2 c. chicken broth
20 slices of baguette, lightly toasted in oven

Preheat oven to 425.  Heat butter and oil in oven proof skillet.  Brown chicken about 3 minutes on each side, seasoning with salt and pepper.  Remove chicken from skillet.  Add garlic to pan, browning for about a minute, maybe two.  Remove from heat.  Put chicken back in pan.  Add cherry tomatoes and chicken broth.  Bake for about 30 minutes. 

Should look like this when it is done. 
On the side, I made Quinoa with Vegetables and Sauteed Kale.   Never had Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah)?  Give it a try, you just might like it.  Quinoa is a seed grown in South America.  It is high in protein and fiber and relatively low in carbs.  I use it in place of rice in a lot of dishes.  The cheapest way I have found to buy it is in bulk at Amazing Grains in Grand Forks. 

Quinoa with Vegetables
1 c. quinoa, rinsed in colander
2 c. liquid (I used a combination of chicken broth, water and white wine...I was drinking anyway, so I decided to share a little with the food)
1 c. small mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, beans, corn)

Put quinoa and liquid in small pot.  Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes.  You will know it's done when it looks like there are a bunch of planets with rings around them in the pot.  When they are almost finished, add the veggies and cover the pot.   Simmer until the liquid is gone and keep covered to heat up the veggies.  Add salt and pepper if you like.


I also made sauteed kale.  Okay, so greens are not my favorite, but we keep getting them in our weekly vegetable boxes from Red Goose Gardens, so I have to come up with ways to use them.  This time, I just decided to use them up.  Phil loves sauteed greens...the girls and I, not so much.  The way I see it, it's a good way to get your veggies, and you don't need very much.  I had a huge colander full of washed and torn greens and it cooked down to a cup or so. 

Sauteed Greens

A whole bunch of greens, large ribs removed (Kale, Chard, Spinach, etc., whatever you have)
2 crushed & minced cloves of garlic
1 T. Olive Oil
1/2 c. chicken broth
salt and pepper

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet.  Add garlic and cook for a minute or so.  Don't burn it!  Add greens and stir until coated with oil.  Add chicken broth, cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring often.  Add salt and pepper if desired before serving. 


This is Phil's plate, isn't it pretty?
 Now don't get me wrong, I don't always cook like this, sometimes we just order Chinese (yes, they deliver all the way out here!), but I like to when I have the time and energy.

1 comment:

  1. YUM! Love these recipes! Do you have any holiday suggestions or fall traditions? I would love to read about that! Love this blog!!

    ReplyDelete