At our house, we have a saying..."Don't yuk my yum!". We are trying to raise kids that aren't picky eaters by exposing them to many different kinds of food. It wasn't that long ago that one of my kids asked "Why can't you cook food like everyone else? Like tater tot hotdish?" The reason? It's not very healthy or creative and I think it's kind of gross. I don't cook like that. I like to use fresh, healthy ingredients to make great tasting good for you dishes. I've created this blog to share my favorite recipes with you.


Follow my kitchen adventures from using up vegetables from our weekly CSA box to baking and creative cooking.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Laundry Detergent

I'll start this post with this disclaimer:  Don't eat this recipe! 

I decided to break from the normal food-based recipe and write about this home made laundry detergent recipe, which comes from  Being Creative to Keep My Sanity.  When I saw this, I was already headed to the store to buy some much needed laundry detergent and knew that I would have to spend at least $10 on a jug that would last about six weeks.  I figured it was worth a try to spend a few extra dollars for something that would last a lot longer. 

Picture taken from Being Creative to Keep My Sanity
 To make, you need a cheese grater, a big bucket and the following ingredients: 

1 4lb. 12 oz. box borax
1 4 lb. box baking soda
1 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
3 bars Fels-Nalpha Soap (pink Zote soap works, too)
3.5 lb Oxy Clean (I used store brand)

All of these ingredients were on the same shelf in the laundry aisle at the local Wal-Mart. 

Shred soap with cheese grater.  Mix well in bucket with all other ingredients.  Put in containers or just use from the big bucket.  Use the scoop in the Oxy Clean, 1 scoop per load (about 1 Tablespoon).  This cost me $16.11 and made 2 ice cream buckets full.  Should last awhile. 

This seems to work well.  The laundry room smells clean and soapy when I'm using it, but the dry clothes have no smell to them, which is good for us. The true test was when I washed our sheets and they came out clean with no odor or itch, which would both drive Phil crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment