At our house, we have a saying..."Don't yuk my yum!". We are trying to raise kids that aren't picky eaters by exposing them to many different kinds of food. It wasn't that long ago that one of my kids asked "Why can't you cook food like everyone else? Like tater tot hotdish?" The reason? It's not very healthy or creative and I think it's kind of gross. I don't cook like that. I like to use fresh, healthy ingredients to make great tasting good for you dishes. I've created this blog to share my favorite recipes with you.


Follow my kitchen adventures from using up vegetables from our weekly CSA box to baking and creative cooking.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cheesy Potatoes and Ham

Using up that leftover ham sometimes takes some creativity.  I came home from a family New Years gathering with a big baggie full of ham, dreaming of potatoes with ham and cheese.  I didn't want to go to the grocery store to make my recipe so I consulted a few cookbooks before coming up with my own version.  We actually had a small box of Velveeta in the cupboard from when it was on sale with a coupon last fall and still have a stock of potatoes from Red Goose Gardens

I know potatoes have a bad rap and they aren't considered the best vegetable for you, but they do count as a veggie in my book (sometimes).  These "veggies", doused with cheese and ham, are definitely not diet food, so don't eat them very often!

Cheesy Potatoes and Ham (This made 10 servings at our house)
10 potatoes, washed and sliced (peeled, if desired)
1 small onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. velveeta (small box)
2 c. diced ham (more or less as desired)
2 c. milk

Combine all but milk in large roasting pan (spray pan first if you don't want a big mess to scrub).  Pour milk over mixture.  Bake at 400 for an hour or more, stirring once or twice in the begining to mix in the cheese.  It is done when the potatoes are soft and the milk and cheese cook down to a thick sauce.  This would probably work in the crock pot as well, 3-4 hrs. on high would do it. 

These are great with a green salad or just some raw veggies with ranch, to balance the soft texture of the potatoes.  It also reheats well, though I wouldn't recommend freezing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment