At our house, we have a saying..."Don't yuk my yum!". We are trying to raise kids that aren't picky eaters by exposing them to many different kinds of food. It wasn't that long ago that one of my kids asked "Why can't you cook food like everyone else? Like tater tot hotdish?" The reason? It's not very healthy or creative and I think it's kind of gross. I don't cook like that. I like to use fresh, healthy ingredients to make great tasting good for you dishes. I've created this blog to share my favorite recipes with you.


Follow my kitchen adventures from using up vegetables from our weekly CSA box to baking and creative cooking.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Granny's Pumpkin Bars

My dinner menu this week was nothing to write home about, so I'm just going to post about my Granny's Pumpkin Bars.  Trust me, they're worthy of their own post.
It all started out as a squash-roasting session.  I had a bunch of squash that looked enough like pumpkin that I decided to treat it like pumpkin.  I cut them in half, scooped out the seeds and put them cut side down in a pan with a little water.  I baked them for about an hour at 350, until they were nice and tender.  After they cooled a bit, I scooped out the flesh and pureed it.  I was just going to freeze it all in 2 cup portions when I got a call from my sister in law telling me to bring dessert for supper that night.  Then she suggested pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting.  She didn't have to tell me twice!

I have always loved my Granny's recipe for pumpkin bars.  She used to make them for us whenever we visited her house in Williston.  After much begging, she shared the recipe with me a few years ago.  I even have the recipe in her handwriting!

These make a huge pan, but they never last long.  And be careful...I think I gained ten pounds in the last two days eating these!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Granny's Pumpkin Bars
1.  Mix together:
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. canola oil
1 can pumpkin ( or 2 c. fresh roasted and pureed pumpkin or squash)

2.  Sift together:
2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 t. cloves

3.  Combine wet ingredients and dry ingredients, mix well.
4.  Pour into an 11 x 17 pan or two smaller pans that have been greased and dusted well with flour.
5.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. After cooling top with Cream Cheese frosting:
1 brick cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 t. vanilla
1 T. milk or cream
3-4 c. powdered sugar
(Combine in a bowl, adding enough sugar to make it yummy!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The original recipe called for a full cup of oil, but I thought that was a little much, so I cut it in half to see what happened and I couldn't tell the difference.  Also, I didn't have any ground cloves, but the bars were delicious without.

No comments:

Post a Comment