At our house, we have a saying..."Don't yuk my yum!". We are trying to raise kids that aren't picky eaters by exposing them to many different kinds of food. It wasn't that long ago that one of my kids asked "Why can't you cook food like everyone else? Like tater tot hotdish?" The reason? It's not very healthy or creative and I think it's kind of gross. I don't cook like that. I like to use fresh, healthy ingredients to make great tasting good for you dishes. I've created this blog to share my favorite recipes with you.


Follow my kitchen adventures from using up vegetables from our weekly CSA box to baking and creative cooking.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Spinach and Strawberry Salad


It's almost time for the first fruits and vegetables of the season to ripen. Lately, I have been craving fresh fruits and vegetables, but what I can buy in the store just doesn't live up to my expectations.  I can't wait until we start getting our first CSA boxes from Red Goose Gardens.  It won't be long until one of our first boxes contains spinach and strawberries, which go so well together in this salad.

Spinach and Strawberry Salad
strawberries, washed, stemmed and sliced (I used a whole pound)
spinach, washed (1 big bag)
dried cranberries (1/2 c.)
goat cheese (a couple Tablespoons, crumbled)
sunflower seeds (a couple Tablespoons)
balsamic vinegar (a couple Tablespoons)

Feel free to adjust/add/omit ingredients to fit your tastes.

I like to slice the strawberries the morning I am going to serve this salad or even the night before and sprinkle them with a little balsamic vinegar. This allows the strawberries to "marinate" a bit and I have found that no other dressing is necessary. 

When ready to serve, toss all ingredients in a big bowl and sprinkle with additional balsamic vinegar if you want.  Spinach is a pretty tough green and if there are some leftovers, this will keep for a day or so in the fridge. 

To make this salad a meal, you could easily top it with grilled chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment