At our house, we have a saying..."Don't yuk my yum!". We are trying to raise kids that aren't picky eaters by exposing them to many different kinds of food. It wasn't that long ago that one of my kids asked "Why can't you cook food like everyone else? Like tater tot hotdish?" The reason? It's not very healthy or creative and I think it's kind of gross. I don't cook like that. I like to use fresh, healthy ingredients to make great tasting good for you dishes. I've created this blog to share my favorite recipes with you.


Follow my kitchen adventures from using up vegetables from our weekly CSA box to baking and creative cooking.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Popovers!


Okay, so Popovers is one of those recipes that should be easy.  Flour, milk, eggs, salt.  Simple, right?  Wrong.  I have had problems with them burning, falling and sticking to the pan, sometimes all at the same time!  I think I've finally solved most of those problems, though.  A guy I work with brought in a "Foolproof Popover" recipe a few weeks ago, and so far, the recipe doesn't lie.  They turn out nice and poofy and don't stick to the pan.  Just to be safe, though, I am in the market  for a silicon popover pan so they never stick again! 

Foolproof Popovers
butter for greasing pan
1 c. milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. flour
1/2 t. salt

Heavily grease the popover pan/cups with butter.  Place in freezer while you mix the batter. 
Mix flour, milk, eggs and salt together until combined, don't worry about lumps.  Divide batter evenly between 6 popover cups. 
Place in a cold oven.  Turn on oven to  450 and bake for 30 minutes.  Do not open the oven until you are ready to take them out!  The popovers will fall.  Remove from oven and prick each popover with a knofe to allow the steam to escape, otherwise they'll be soggy.

These are amazing with most kinds of soup but sometimes we have them for breakfast with jelly or nutella.  Delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment