At our house, we have a saying..."Don't yuk my yum!". We are trying to raise kids that aren't picky eaters by exposing them to many different kinds of food. It wasn't that long ago that one of my kids asked "Why can't you cook food like everyone else? Like tater tot hotdish?" The reason? It's not very healthy or creative and I think it's kind of gross. I don't cook like that. I like to use fresh, healthy ingredients to make great tasting good for you dishes. I've created this blog to share my favorite recipes with you.


Follow my kitchen adventures from using up vegetables from our weekly CSA box to baking and creative cooking.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Bean and Ham Soup

Okay, so it doesn't sound super delicious or like something you're dying to make, but there are times (like Christmas and New Years) when there is a lot of leftover ham.  After Christmas, I threw the ham bone and a few slices of ham in the freezer to use for this recipe, on a day when I had some time.

This recipe makes a big pot and reheats well, and I think it's better as leftovers. 


Bean and Ham Soup
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 T. Olive Oil
1 c. white beans, soaked overnight
8 c. water
2 chicken boullion cubes
Ham bone
1-2 c. diced ham
2 potatoes, washed (peeled if you want) and diced

Heat olive oil in soup pot while you prepare onion, celery & carrots.  Add veggies, cooking until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.  Add beans, water, boullion and ham bone.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for about an hour.  Add in diced ham and potatoes, cooking until beans are soft (about 30 more minutes).  Remove bone and cut off remaining meat, adding back to soup. 

This was delicious served with a loaf of crusty bread and will make great lunches for the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment